I have fond memories of my brown bag school lunch days — a bologna, cheese, and mayonnaise on white bread sandwich, a small bag of chips, and fruit was my favorite. As a parent with two children in school, I quickly learned they don’t like the same types of school lunch that I do. We may be just beginning the new school year, but many children around the country have already finished their first weeks.
If you’re stumped on what to pack for school lunch, here are easy ideas:
Easy Sandwiches for School Lunch
1. Nut Butter + Jelly — If your school doesn’t allow peanut butter, there are alternatives, like sun butter.
2. Pita Bread + Hummus + Veggies
3. Meat + Cheese Roll-Up
4. Bagel + Favorite Condiment (cream cheese, jelly, peanut butter)
5. Egg Salad on a Slider Bun
6. Chicken Salad Sandwich
My girls love all of the deli-meat-free sandwiches!
1. Nut Butter + Honey + Banana
2. Jelly + Cream Cheese (a kid favorite while I used to be a nanny)
Thermos Lunch Ideas
1. Turkey Chili
3. Chicken Noodle Soup
4. Spaghetti + Meatballs (or any type of pasta — raviolis, tortellini, etc.)
5. Chicken Nuggets + Dipping Sauce
6. Other kid-friendly soups, such as Squash Spinach Turkey Sausage Soup, Tortellini Soup
7. Grilled Cheese Sandwich (cut into bite-size pieces)
8. Pizza (cut into strips)
9. Breakfast: eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon — don’t forget a side of syrup!
10. Leftover Dinner — Chicken Parmesan, Kid-Friendly Chicken Burrito Bowl
Note: To warm a child’s thermos, fill it with hot or boiling water. Put the lid on. Let it sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of lunch and then pour out the water. Once the thermos is warm, quickly add the hot food and tightly secure the lid.
More Easy School Lunch Ideas
1. Pasta Salad
2. Cheese Quesadilla
3. Pita Chips + Hummus
4. Tortilla Chips + Salsa + Guacamole
5. Sliced Cheese + Crackers
6. Breakfast Egg Muffins or Quiche (can be enjoyed cold)
Caitlin Houston is a Wallingford blogger and mom of two who loves sharing all of her favorites on the Caitlin Houston Blog. Learn about fun activities at home, family friendly travels, easy recipes and more.